Who is “Idlycity.com”
“Steamed Wholesome Goodness”
- MELT IN MOUTH
- THIN LAYER AND LIGHT
- AUTHENTHICALLY SERVED WITH PODI-GUNPOWDER
- SERVE IN SHELL SHAPE
What is Idly?
Idli (/ɪdliː/) is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households, especially in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka where it is a popular breakfast dish that is consumed in numerous households. Idli is a savoury cake that is popular throughout India and neighbouring countries like Sri Lanka. The cakes are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body.
Idli has several variations, including rava idli, which is made from semolina. Regional variants include sanna of Konkan and Enduri Pitha of Odisha.
Nutrition in Idly.
Idlis are healthy any time of the day.
A typical adult will eat about 5-6 idlis which is about 40 x 6 = 240 calories (about 10% of the daily calories needed for an adult).
In addition, it provides Dietary Fibre 1.5g; Sugars 0.22g; Protein 1.91g; Calcium 1%; Iron 5%.
Now that is just the idli. If you choose to supplement it with coriander or mint chutney, you are increasing your intake of calcium and vitamin A. If you add in a dash of mulagai podi (also goes by various names like iddly podi, dosai podi, chutney powder etc), you add to your dinner a healthy dose of proteins from the various roasted lentils and minerals from the spices in it. .
Benefits of Shell Idly
- A classic South Indian food made with fermented rice and black gram, Idlis are a great source of carbohydrates and proteins.
- The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of proteins and enhances the vitamin B content of the food.
- As it is steamed, fat content is low and it is easily digestible.
- Use of Urad dal and rice idli are a good combination as the amino acids in them complement each other.
- Idli is nutritious as it is a rich source of carbohydrates, fibres and proteins. Fermentation overnight: Gives the right proportion of Lactos, Probiotic bacteria: making it good for the stomach enzymes that are required in the morning.